6.24.2007
Splash!
I am officially in the "pool"--the waiting pool, that is (or wading pool may be equally as fitting). My profile can now be viewed by one and all from the agency's web page, http://www.openadopt.org/ , under Parent Profiles link. So, now the world will know that I am an enthusiastic mom-to-be! Ah, just one person I have yet to tell.....my manager at work ! It is complex since this may not happen for two years so I am still playing this one out in my head--particularly the "when" part. I just know that once my office hears word, they'll continuously be asking about the status and I will not have an answer for them, until I get THE call. (Which reminds me, I had another dream recently that my counselor called me in the afternoon and said I needed to be at the hospital by 4 pm, as a baby had just been delivered). So, the wading pool now includes approx. 50 other couples and two singles. One single woman recently took herself off the list after two years of waiting, and has now adopted a baby from Guatemala. I am determined to go the domestic route and will continue to approach different avenues. For example, I recently contacted a private adoption attorney in Seattle area who assisted with an adoption for some friends of mine from DC, and they highly recommended him. So, I plan to send him some materials in the next week, fill out more paperwork and hopefully be in his "pool" by the end of July. Just keeping all options open. It helps that my counseler at OAFS has been incredibly supportive and while my preference would be to adopt through their agency because of the extensive support and services they provide to birthmothers, the chances are slim, given all the couples they are working with. So, wading, waiting, wading... it will be.
With summer upon us, I have my list of fun explorations (sailing, backpacking, biking, reading, yoga, etc.) that I want to do and then those dear home projects---such as preparing my second bedroom. I also want to spend as much time with wee little ones to give me a chance to 'practice' the role of new mom and to learn from new parents. So, if I am wise, I'll use this waiting period to its full advantage. Yes, if I am wise.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Sounds like you are taking an exciting and interesting route! Best of luck on your journey.
Melissa
Wow - that is amazing news. Thanks for the email update, since I haven't figured out how to visit a blog yet!
Your perseverance on the adoption front is awesome - I really admire what you have put into the process and know that it is soooo sincere. I know that it will work out and you will be an amazing mom.
Hope you had a good rest of the weekend.
xoxo
Lisa
****************************
Leslie,
I just read your extremely heartfelt narrative on the adoption site - it is really beautiful and most importantly really gives someone an accurate picture of what a wonderful and loving person that you are.
I am keeping my fingers crossed and think of you all the time and know that you will have a child very soon.
lots of love,
Lisa
oh my gosh--that is incredible!!!!!!!
this is the first time i have seen a blog--i am not acclimated to the 21st century. i read your profile to the birthmoms and i felt like crying! it is amazing leslie. just amazing. i so respect your courage and committment! you honor who you are and that is just beautiful. i can go on and on...
much love,
stacey
leslie I just read your latest addition to your blog and your letter to a birthmother, I write this through teary eyes, and tell you once again how proud we are of you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
Post a Comment