3.09.2007

Life Back East

It's been a whirlwind, yet exciting, couple of weeks back East. I left Seattle Feb 22 for a four day excursion to NYC where I spent a fabulous weekend with Leslie, Lisa, Stacey (at right), Susan, Wendy, Phil, Trine, and my friend Eve was in town coincidentally (visiting from CA). We went to yoga, great dinners, walking city streets, and getting to spend time with Lisa's and Stacey's kids (all four under the age of 4). I also met with J.- a friend of Lisa's who is a 'single mother by choice'- she adopted her beautfiul boy from Russia and is now living in NYC. We had a really nice breakfast and talked about some of the challenges and joys of her life as a single working mom, and she gave me enormous confidence that it can be done! (Of course, it can--I just need to be reminded periodically!).
Trine and I then trudged our luggage throught the snow on Monday morning (Feb. 26) to head to the airport and caught a plane to San Juan, Puerto Rico and then an 8-seater to the little island of Vieques - 85 degrees, sunny blue skies, and turquoise surf! We joined Kim, our bride friend, who will be taking Russ's hand that Friday. It was a fabulous vacation and beautiful wedding! I enjoyed much needed down time and realize how precious these moments are. After a week in Vieques, we returned to D.C. where I have been spending this week at our D.C. office by day and visiting with friends by night. I have told a few more friends out here about my adoption plans and everyone sounds very supportive. I'll be spending my last weekend here with Michael (my former neighbor) and his family (three kids under 9) and looking forward to hanging out with them. Then back to Seattle on March 11 when I'll follow up with the OAFS agency to complete a few open items on our list (certified birth certificate, delivering signed form about transracial adoption, etc.). Aiming to be "in the pool" by mid-April! Stay tuned....

No comments: