Well, we did it. My assigned counselor (K.) and I got through the four-hour monologue, presented by...moi. Yes, all about me. Me, talking about me. Blah blah blah. How I yearned to ask her a question--"say, what would be your approach to parenting and discipline?" "what do you like to do for fun?" And while we did share a little exchange from time to time, who knew that I could talk that much?! (no comment, friends). Overall it was a very comfortable four hours, just as Lynn, Jo, Doug and Derek advised me prior to this afternoon- each a seasoned adoptive parent in DC, NYC, and Seattle and having gone through this- to "be yourself." I thank them for their sound advice and words of encouragement. Here's hoping I passed!
Fave parts of the day include the banana bread i baked this morning, and talking about what I have learned from my parents (photo above) about raising kids and discussing the positive parenting styles I have seen in my friends... it was a wonderful reminder of the excellent role models around me! We wrapped up around 5:30, just after a tour of the "west wing" bedrooms and the "upper deck," and decided we'd tack on the few remaining questions to my next meeting with K. in a week or so, at the agency. We'll need 2.5 hours then to cover the remaining q's, as well as a review of how the "adoption pool" works, the "waiting process" and what I can begin to do to prepare for motherhood! Yikes, I better get some sleep before that thought kicks in another round of insomnia. Looking forward to sweet dreams this evening.
Fave parts of the day include the banana bread i baked this morning, and talking about what I have learned from my parents (photo above) about raising kids and discussing the positive parenting styles I have seen in my friends... it was a wonderful reminder of the excellent role models around me! We wrapped up around 5:30, just after a tour of the "west wing" bedrooms and the "upper deck," and decided we'd tack on the few remaining questions to my next meeting with K. in a week or so, at the agency. We'll need 2.5 hours then to cover the remaining q's, as well as a review of how the "adoption pool" works, the "waiting process" and what I can begin to do to prepare for motherhood! Yikes, I better get some sleep before that thought kicks in another round of insomnia. Looking forward to sweet dreams this evening.
1 comment:
Wow!
It would be a miracle if you could sleep with all these big issues running through your head!
Two things, no make that 3:
1. you are right; you re not alone. you have so many friends who love you and want the best for you and support you through whatever happens in your life. 5 of us live right in my house! oops make that 6--lucy is a fan of yours too!
2. you will figure it out. all the questions about parenting are overwhelming and while it is important to be realistic- sometimes i though they'd never stop crying (dark days!) and yesterday i thought they'd never stop talking to me- which is great but after 14 hours of the day, I had to pull the covers over my head! but mainly, best I can tell, there is not a final exam on this stuff. it is nice to have a rudder, a plan, but sometimes i'm not sure how i will handle something and then when the time comes to handle it, the answer is crystal clear!
3. chocolate chip cookies always help! i just made som e m&m cookies for L&S to take to their soccer practice. they turn 12 tomorrow and want to share some treats with their team.
xoxoxox
let me know how it goes today. i would have called you back but i didnt want your phone to start ringing in the middle of your home visit!
love the blog
Post a Comment