9.11.2013

Your turn...

Today is the second day of school.  While many of your friends who are five years old are beginning kindergarten this Fall, I realized you would  not only be one of the youngest in your class (having just turned five about 6 weeks before the start of school) but every day you were showing me that you still had so much play and energy in you.  It was a difficult decision (with financial considerations) that I wrestled with for a couple months but after looking at many of the pre-k options, as well as private school K options (for the benefit of smaller class size), I found a place that I think will be a good fit! The founder/teacher of the school (located in a charming house just a couple miles up the hill) knows kids as she has been teaching for well over twenty years!  Her assistant teacher is wonderful and warm and they have more "learning' opportunities than your previous school.  This summer we saw great success, EO, in how you played with friends and listened well to your counselors.  You showed me the capacity is clearly there and in your own time,  you will see the gain that comes from softening the edges a little.  It is okay to lose a game, or okay if someone bumps into you...yes, by accident.

And so, today is your second day at Parkside School but it is the first full day with the full class there. All 23 children. On Monday, half the class attended for three hours, and Tuesday, the other class attended for three hours (and the teachers said you did fine, a good bit of energy but much like a few other boys), and then today--Wednesday--is the all day, full class.  So, I am home now needing to dive into my work but wanted you to know I am thinking of you.  A great deal.  I want you to feel my arms wrapped around you and telling you it is alright.  That teachers Joy and Kate are there for you if you need anything. I know you can do it, I know you can do it.  It's now your turn to show yourself that yes, you really can do it.

xo.