4.03.2007

The Golden Egg

I was out of town over the weekend and when I came home, two neighbors were standing in front of a planter box on my deck and as I approached my front door, they said "So, what are you going to do?" I had no earthly idea what they were talking about until I took a closer look at my built in planter box before them. By darn, Mother Goose decided to lay an egg, right there in my planter box. Canadian geese, as some of you know, can become very aggressive and defensive when protecting their young (and soon to be born). So, one neighbor had suggestions that we conveniently displace the egg (e.g. in the lake a few feet away) and the other neighbor thought we should let mother nature take its course, even if it means nearly risking our lives to enter the front door!
I stepped aside from that debate for a moment and paused...some coincidence with Passover this week and its symbolic reference to the egg on the sedar plate and then Easter next weekend (along with our dockside Easter egg hunt, too!). But holidays aside, the egg that Mother Goose has delivered to my front porch hits too close to home (figuratively and literally) to my personal journey of beginning a family. The symbolic meaning of the egg - soon to hatch in about 25 days--and my longer gestation period (at least a year) -- is not something I can take lightly. I have to believe there may be some crazy karma to it all! And now I could not even bear to toss the egg in the Lake, like some neighbors have suggested! Well, I'll call Audubon Society tomorrow and see what they suggest. Stay tuned. =)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think it is a beautiful and postive omen for sure - eggs - also at the Passover seder - symbolize LIFE and rebirth... and I feel very good vibes that this egg is a strong spiritual sign that good baby news is going to be knocking at your door soon...

slmarquis said...

What a magical sight! a little gift of things to come... i can't wait to hear what happens next!